Chairman, McCully Consulting Group
Strategic Counsel, Public and Private Diplomacy,
Barrister of the High Court of New Zealand
The Honourable Murray Stuart McCully CNZM CF was New Zealand’s Minister of Foreign Affairs for eight and a half years and Member of Parliament for thirty years, retiring from politics in September 2017.
Prior to entering Parliament, he was a partner in the public relations firm Allan Fenwick McCully.
Since leaving Parliament he has served as a member of the Global Commission on the Geopolitics of Energy Transformation, appointed by the International Renewal Energy Agency.
Murray McCully is currently:
- Chairman of McCully Consulting Group Limited;
- A director of Far North Holdings Limited, Northland Adventure Experience and Maori Carbon Fund;
- A Crown representative on the Northland Water Storage Project;
- Chairman of the New Zealand Papua New Guinea Business Council, and
- Active in pro bono work in a range of Pacific nations.
Elected to Parliament in 1987 as MP for East Coast Bays, he served a total of sixteen and a half years as a minister in the Bolger, Shipley, Key and English Governments, and until being appointed Foreign Minister, was a key National Party strategist.
Murray McCully was awarded the CNZM in 2014 for his successful leadership of New Zealand’s UN Security Council campaign. He also:
- Recently became a Companion of the Order of Fiji;
- Holds the Samoan chiefly title Tupa’i Matuna Alofi O Taoa;
- Was granted Honorary Residence by the Government of the Cook Islands, and
- Was awarded the Order of Zayed II(First Class) by the Government of the United Arab Emirates.
His term as Foreign Minister saw a resolution of the 30-year diplomatic standoff with the US, the building of stronger relationships across Asia, a strong emphasis on New Zealand’s role in the Pacific, and a successful two-year term on the United Nations Security Council.
As Minister of Sport for nine years, Minister for the America’s Cup in 1999 and Minister for the Rugby World Cup 2011, Murray McCully has played a leading role in the upgrade of New Zealand High Performance Sport, and been a key advocate for the role of major events in bringing economic and branding benefits to New Zealand.
Following his retirement from Parliament, Murray McCully is available to discuss assignments that draw on his knowledge of national and global affairs, which includes:
- Good understanding of major issues across key trading partners.
- Excellent network of relationships including China, South East Asia, Europe, the Middle East and Africa.
- Strong exposure to international law and the operation of international institutions.
- Close familiarity with the Pacific region and good personal relationships with key decision-makers.
- Good understanding of international development issues and processes.
- Long experience of New Zealand Government decision making processes.
- Strong background in political risk/crisis management.